Monday, December 7, 2015

Journal 9

Journal 9: 
Revise your preliminary proposal (describing what you decided about the elements discussed in journal 8) and then relate your project #3 proposal idea to BOTH what you did in previous projects AND at least one of the pieces we listened to/watched/experienced in class
---

My idea for my final project completely changed the more I thought about how I wanted to spend my last assignment. Being a leader in the Filipino American community on campus, issues regarding my cultural identity and cultural history is a big part of my identity and is important to me. The idea that came to me was inspired by the St. Louis' World Fair where thousands of Filipinos were imprisoned as an exhibit. One popular one was of the Igorot tribe because it was "exotic" for their diet to consist of dogs. 

At the moment I am focusing on just the sounds, but I have not dismissed the idea of utilizing images into the piece as well. If I did images, I would probably have still images of different aspects of a fair such as a crowd of people, or still images relating to the story, such as bars of a carnival exhibit, or eyes of an Igorot person.

In terms of the sounds, I wanted this piece to be like a soundscape and audio walk combined (if i wasn't able to choose one or the other). Somehow, I want to bring my listener back in time to the 1900s when this event happened. This would be similar to the way I did my first project which was like an audio walk where I took the listener through a journey of a typical day of mine. However, I want minimal narration and more focus on the environment I create, almost like a soundscape, such as Lockwood's "Hudson River".

To achieve this, I plan to use pre-recorded found sounds of different things, such as ambient sounds of a murmuring crowd, footsteps, crying, barking, etc. I also plan to alter certain sounds to create a more impactful feeling, such as repeating words or phrases to get a jarring effect on the listener, such as the piece "I Am Sitting in a Room". Possibly with effects such as speeding up the repetition, or slowing them down, adding reverb as it goes on to create a dream-like effect. To create a fuller space, I would play with panning to get sounds from both left and right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment